Tuesday, October 7, 2014

31 Days of Cheap & Free Decor: Day 7- Mix It Up

Sorry if I confused anyone with yesterdays post. I posted it early in the morning, which meant it was posted Oct. 5 US time, though it was Oct. 6 here! So sorry!

Now.....

What is wrong with this picture?

There's nothing technically wrong with this picture. The sofas are perfectly decent, as is every other piece in the photo. The problem is they're all a bit too perfect. It all matches. From the tan sofas, carpet, and lampshade, it's all too matchy-matchy. 

This is SO easy to do- especially for new married couples, or folks buying their first home. They get ready to make their first home and want it to be 'perfect'. The problem is, perfect isn't liveable. It's sterile. Predictable. It's JC Penny catalog boring.

The key is to mix things up a bit.



Here's how my living room looks at the moment, and I'm not holding it up as an example of perfection- just showing you where I am.

I've been trying to add some texture to the cold leather sofa (which I'm deciding I'll never buy again, as I'm freezing in winter and sticky in summer!) But my pillows are a bit.... blah. Individually, they're great. I like them all. But there's nothing terrible interesting about them.

And the rug... well, it's definitely the visual interest in the room right now, and I think it might be a tad much.... but I'll talk more about that later.) But it's liveable-- cosy, but imperfect enough that it's not intimidating.

Some tips to breaking the matchy-matchy rut:

  • DON'T buy a whole furniture set. Whether its a sofa/loveseat or a whole bedroom suite.... putting it all in one room will instantly overwhelm a room.
  • DON'T buy a bunch of accessories from one collection at Target! Even if you love it! I don't care how good they look together on the shelf. They won't look as good at home.
  • DON'T ask yourself if it matches. Matching isn't what's important. Working is.
  • DO mix and match. Have a few pieces that match and a few that don't. You don't want to go crazy and have nothing that coordinates, but you want to keep things moving visually.
  • DO occasionally buy that random pillow you love- even if it doesn't go with your living room.
  • DO shop your house.... change the pillows on your bed for those on your sofa. Or find one you threw in the basement two years ago
  • DO look for cheap/easy changes. DIY pillow cover. A random blanket/throw. Sharpie something. (Seriously!)
Check out The Nester's blog for inspiration. She changes things around A LOT. And even if you don't like her particular style, she links to tons of other designers who are brilliant with mixing things up a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment